Tuesday, October 13, 2009

To The Lighthouse!


In Virginia Woolf's day, when ladies got the post- partum or wanted to do something crazy like work outside the home, they were sent to the nervous hospital. Or they went to the lighthouse, or to the waves as a final act of defiance: "Against you I will fling myself, unvanquished and unyielding, O Death!" Today, when ladies are teetering upon the edge of losing their shit, they take a long weekend to Block Island, Rhode Island. Not that I would know, I just wanted a holiday in the country... Here's what I did:

I spied behind rocks.


I served as a mercenary against the white man for the Pequots. Oh right.... sad.
... the elusive Riis Beach monster of summer 2008 surfaced on the sands of New Shoreham, RI.
... as did the oft- mythologized Block Island boulder humper.
I destroyed.
The town historian gave a provocative lecture at the Indian Cemetery, entited "Totem or Totemic?: King Philip's War and the Southern New England Tourism Industry."
I found boyfriends.
I stumbled upon this perverse mascot of small town inter- species breeding: the Rhode Island cow horse.

Have you ever stopped toponder the significance of the Rhode Island state flag? I thought so! Roger Williams, upon the founding of 'Lil Rhody in 1636, quoted Hebrews 6:19- "Hope we have as an anchor of the soul." Indeed! pRIde!

1 comment:

paris said...

Glad you flung yourself more gently agaist those rocks than Ms. Woolf to the waves, Paloma, as we'd miss you terribly. Hope the google ads help defray the costs of trips to RI!